Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Prologue

The primary purpose of this weblog is to record and refine the authors' thoughts on the pursuit of honour, virtue, and gentility in the cultural context of the modern (so-called) "Western Civilization." To begin, I wish to pre-suppose that the Source and Foremost Possessor of these Noble attributes is the One Almighty God; Creator of all things; Giver of all Good Gifts. These attributes are shared by His glorious and praise-worthy Son, Jesus Christ, who deigned to take upon Himself our mortal crust and walk amongst us as a perfect human example; accepting our physical weakness, but firmly resisting the temptations to which we succomb so easily and so often. It is by His Grace that we may pursue the virtue which He embodies, and likewise by the same Grace that we may participate in the Noblest of all strivings: the Glorification and Gratification of our Heavenly Father.*

In my subsequent posts, I will provide my considerations on the subjects of nobility and gentility, in hopes of enlightening those that desire to increase knowledge in this area, as well as defining my own opinions and increasing my own knowledge. My desire is not so much that this be a venue for a monologue, but rather the avenue to dialogue and discussion, that both the readers and the participants may have a greater scope of each topic and opinion. Please do not hesitate to respond to my ideas, whether through the "comments" option, your own form of journal, or by contacting me personally. As you live this blessed life and act in it, I humbly request that you consider these ideas and the effect they may have.

*If objection is made to any of these Assertions, please inform me, that I may be able to thoroughly address any more fundamental issues.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jason said...

Just so we are clear on what you are asserting, are you saying that the perfect gentleman would be the perfect Christian man? Because if so that is a fairly important assumption ;-)

5:30 PM  
Blogger Aurenande said...

In fact, the perfect gentleman need not be the perfect Christian man. The acheivement of such a perfect gentility is simply one aspect of acheiving such a "perfect Christianity." There are many areas of life which, though directly affected by gentlemanly and noble character, do not lie completely within it. I will pursue this line of thought more thoroughly in future posts.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

You will probably pursue this already, but in order to be the perfect Christian man would one also need to be a perfect gentleman? (the other direction from my first question)

6:41 PM  
Blogger curtis said...

That's how I interpret it, Jason. Matt?

8:01 PM  
Blogger curtis said...

that's a rather startlingly impressive quotation. kudos, my friend- kudos.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Aurenande said...

That quote is indeed impressive, as well as quite relevant. My thanks to you, friend.

Jason, I would say that the perfect Christian will be the perfect gentleman, not as any form of "stepping-stone" to this stature, but rather as a component. One does not come before the other; the latter cannot be without the former, and the former includes the latter.

At this point, however, I desire to note that this "perfect Christian" is naught but a hypothetical created for the sake of discussion. The use of this hypothetical has been practical to this point, but I feel that it's use thus far will suffice. The only one who has or will reach such status on this Earth is Christ Himself; the Living Son of God. All Praise and Glory be to Him.

12:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home